Regardless of skill level, no grom-hood is complete without a party-wave filled surf camp. Learning your shrediquette from a legendary local instructor is a crucial step towards parent-free beach days and earning your spot in the line-up. So Listen up parents, even if you dont live by the beach, send your kids to a surf camp. They will return with the confidence and strength that no other recreation provides.
Billabong camps are famous for featuring local pros and epic surf ambassadors to teach the next generation of surfers how to do it in style. Here’s two Bong camps that have been spreading stoke to thousands of aspiring surfers.
Voted as Orange County’s Best Surf Coach (OC Weekly 2011) Stephen “Slidawg” Chew guarantees to get your grommet up on some Hakama peelers. For 20 years the camp has been perched in the epicenter of Laguna’s surf community at Thalia Street where campers have their pick of Reef rights, sandy lefts and shore-break mini-tubes.
Slidawg teaches kids a double dose of style and ability in the water, and the classic vernacular only heard in Laguna Beach.
1) The camp starts at 9am with some serious instruction about ocean safety from the certified surf instructors.
2) Next the trainees learn the rules of the reef, proper paddling, duck diving and getting to your feet.
3) Softboards and suits are provided, but bringing yours is a good opportunity to get more familiar with your sled.
4) The fun doesn’t stop at the sand, they get daily grinds at a local eatery, and the kids are hooked up with a Billabong backpack filled with swag from the top names in surf. Camp ends at 2pm.
5) Sign up before June 25 and save 20%. (more…)