January 28th, 2016
Posts Tagged ‘sharks’
Shark Week hysteria hit San Clemente a month early, with a sighting sign that thinned out the crowded SC beachbreaks. With warm waters, summer vacationers, the black ball, and over-hyped swells, the waves are a war-zone and local pranksters are fighting back.
The State Parks sign appeared on a San Clemente City Beach (flaw #1) yesterday 6/1 near the pier, and though looked legit, had misspelled Calafia and errors unlike official warnings.
SCLG Supervisor seemed to take the hoax lightly, commenting “We surmise that someone might have taken a picture of that sign, Photoshopped it a little and added their own warning to fit their desires. Gotta give ‘em credit for creativity. They even cited sections from the Public Resources Code.”
This doesn’t mean whitey isn’t out there though. Chuck Patterson captured a baby white tail-whip with his GoPro 3 summers ago while SUPing in San Clemente.
In their ongoing crusade to protect this world of water, Billabong teamed up with celebrity photographer Michael Muller in developing apparel that raises funds and awareness for sharks. The vilified sea creatures are of seminal importance to the world ecosystem, so check out the extreme sh#t they encountered in campaigning to saves the sharks.
Debunk the tired Jaws era ideologies about sharks, and take a stand against shark-finning, overfishing, and other threats to our precious sea creatures. Become an apex predator with the limited edition printed apparel from Billabong X White Mike.
1. More people are killed by vending machines than sharks each year
2. 100 million sharks are killed each year
3. Sharks shaped marine life in the oceans for over 400 million years
3. There are no reported cases of a Hammer Head attack on a human
4. Entire tires, gasoline tanks and license plates, left in one piece inside the stomachs of tiger sharks
5. Vitamin content of typical shark fin soup is much less than that of typical vegetable soup