August 28th, 2015
Posts Tagged ‘gopro’
Guys can be impossible to shop for, but SWELL is here to make you look like girlfriend-of-the-year. Recent improvements in surf style and gear has made this year’s picks fit for a man-cave.
They’re red, they’re rad, and priced for any girl’s budget this Valentines Day.
1. Nixon Tide Watch -Lucky for you, guys don’t measure gifts by the price tag, so you can buy him a watch that wont affect your credit score. The Nixon Lodown is the favorite wrist piece for pro surfers like world #10 Alejo Muniz. They rely on it’s accurate and user-friendly tide functions pre-programmed for 200 beaches around the world.
With the tide and time at his fingertips your man will stay healthier by surfing more, and wont have an excuse for missing dinner.
2.Volcom Luggage -Lifetime warranty. If that’s not a solid Valentines metaphor, I don’t know what is. He’ll be soo psyched on this carry-on bag styled out with skate wheels, metal handle and stash pouches, that he’ll start planning your next getaway on the spot. Travel in style.
3. RVCA Hybrid Shorts -Just another pair of shorts?… think again. RVCA secretly equipped these would-be walk shorts with all the features you’d find in performance boardshorts. Quick drying, stretch comfort, and wrinkle free, the Punch-it shorts answered the prayers of every guy who wishes he could live in boardshorts.
4. GoPro Water Camera -If he’s been an extra good boyfriend/husband this year, the GoPro is the ultimate romantic expression, so he can tape his session. But its not just for him, you can steal it to go skiing, snorkeling, biking, sailing, or any activity. Still-frames on GoPro videos have more HD clarity than that digital camera you gave him last year. It’s a tool that any guy would love regardless of his age, favorite activity, or skill level.
Don’t let Facebook become your only family photo album, GoPro!
5. Nixon Headphones – Starting at $30, these are a good gift for girls on a budget, or just don’t want to come on too strong. A must-have for dudes who hit the trail when there’s no surf, or don’t like those cheap uncomfortable ear-pieces they give you on airplanes.
6. Intimates -Nothing says I Love You, like some sexy lingerie. After-all, he reads magazines about them in the bathroom every morning . A Valentines present you can both enjoy.
Thank you for visiting the Swell blog. Visit us on www.facebook.com/swell for more exclusive fan offers, giveaways and more.
In the spirit of bringing back the fun, we’ve brainstormed a few ideas to curb the holiday hangover.
Top 5 Things To Do During Your Holiday Break…
1. Watch a Surf Film…in 3D
For the price of one 3D movie ticket, you can own the 3D Transworld Surf Flick, Surprise Excitement Party!
Bonus? No sneaking in smuggled corn and tall cans required.
2. Make Your Own 3D Movies
Been there, done that? We’re calling your bluff Mr. One-Upper. Film your work-free week with all the shred sessions, underwater adventures and blackmail footage you can find…in 3D! What you’ll need- a GoPro Hero Camera, a friend with a GoPro, and the GoPro 3D Hero System
4. Shape a Surfboard
If time is on your side, but your bank account is most-certainly not, check out out this How-To Shape a Surfboard DVD by John Carper
5. Extend the Ugly Sweater Tradition
It’d be a shame to hide that knit warlock in your closet for another 364 days…bring back the fun and extend the tradition through the new year.
Here’s a short reel I put together from this past weekend. The water was warm, surf was pumping and the sun was out. Couldn’t ask for more really. My brother and I decided to mount the GoPro / Contour on wooden dowels and record some womping at a local reefbreak. Once the black ball went up we shed our boards, grabbed our stakes, and paddled out awkward as hell with our makeshift contraptions. Aside from nearly knocking out our teeth and shattering our cameras on the rocks, my brother and I were able to score some shaky, but one of a kind footage.
Overall the Contour shots turned out much better and so 95% of the video is from the Contour GPS. However all the pics including the one above were taken from the GoPro HD Hero.
Wooden dowel, zip ties, and a leash from my dive light.
Wanted to take our cameras to some of the more legendary local shore pound breaks, but didn’t want to impale some helpless tourist with a splintery dowel. Bottom line the beach was crowded and we were lazy. Next time well have to take em out early morning hopefully for some brian conley-esque footy minus any collisions. Stay tuned…
A couple of months back Chuck Patterson posted a video that made many shark weary beach goers avoid the water like it were Amity Island and Jaws was in the lineup. Well we stumbled across another video that might, as Occy would say, “give you chicken skin”… We’re all hoping this one might thin out the crowds right in time for this next swell.
A group of lifeguards from Laguna Beach were out free diving about 300 yards off the coast of Ka’anapali, Maui and captured this amazing footage with their GoPro HD:
If you listen closely you can hear the humpback whales singing in the background and then at 1:20 an almost comical scream when the grey reef shark makes a pass.
As much as we’d like to roust the nearly shish-kebabed swimmer, I’m pretty certain the whole lot of us would’ve been much worse in the same situation. Good on ya brother!
Lots of respect to the boys for keeping their cool and especially Jeff who bee lined it nearly 50 ft to the camera for the quick recovery. I’m pretty sure that’s the fastest he’ll ever dive down in his entire life!
Greg, one of the swimmers in the video, told us this about the event:
“We were diving about 45-50 feet down. It was our first time diving that day, that far down. We just wanted to see how far we could dive down and get sick shots of the sun and our shadows on the surface. We were planning on diving as far as possible. That was our first dive down at 45 ft when it happened I was the 3rd diver in the shot. When I was about 10 ft from the surface I saw the grey reef shark, which was about 6 1/2-7 ft long. It was just cruising then my friend Matt was about to dive down and pick up the camera when the shark went straight up to him. It came about 6 inches away from him when it S turned and swam away. It was defiantly one of the sickest dives I’ve been on.”
The clip really shows how awkward us humans are in the water in comparison to the ol’ man in the grey suit. Anyways well done guys and I think we’re all equally stoked that you “GOT IT ON VIDEO!!!!”