Cardiff, CA – July 26, 2011 – As an extension of their Chosen campaign and a warm up for the upcoming US Open, Nike staged a night time surf session at Seaside Reef. Before arriving I pictured a couple of spotlights and a maybe loud commentator, but instead I ended up stumbling into what felt like a Poison video. Smoke machines belted off plumes of smoke, a live band and DJ played for the crowd, and a giant crane lit up the surf with a massive sun-like spotlight. They even had several underwater lights illuminating the surf from beneath. It was far from any thing I had expected.
Unfortunately I missed the live performance by the Wavves (the main reason for my post-work excursion from San Clemente), but the event was definitely a spectacle to check out. With the resources used for this random Tuesday night exhibition, I’m sure Nike’s got something awesome up their sleeve for the US Open in Huntington scheduled for July 30 – Aug 7.
Thank you for visiting the Swell blog. Visit us on www.facebook.com/swell for more exclusive fan offers, giveaways and more.
Dye, dye, dye my darling….
We’re taking tie dye back from the Dead Heads and drum circles, and classing up with maxi dress silhouettes, silk chiffon, clean lines, and bold statement jewelry. The usual suspects are along for the ride too: fringe bags, moccasins and feather trims. But no, patchouli is not invited to the party.
Surfing is a hard sport to master. No matter who you ask, from the well seasoned pro to the surf school novice, pretty much everyone’s trying to improve his or her technique out in the water. So here’s a simple list of 5 things you can do daily -either on flat spells or in between sessions- to better your surfing. I didn’t include everything, so if you don’t see your type of surf training on the list leave us a comment at the bottom and let us know what you do to sharpen your skills.
1) Skate – Skateboarding is one of the easiest ways to improve your surfing. That’s because much like surfing, skateboarding is based on the same fundamentals: balance and motion. Skating regularly will strengthen your legs, smooth out your style and more importantly get you up off the couch and outdoors. Luckily for us all there are heaps of surf skates out there that can turn any slopy driveway into a standing wave. So if onshores are howling and the forecast looks bleak, grab a skate and hit the sidewalk.
We just got back from the Miami Swim Show, and there were some very exciting trends and new brands we are in love with! Associate buyer Hillary and I met with countless brands, attended the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, and of course soaked up the sun in South Beach. Here are our top 5 favorite finds for the upcoming season:
1. Lingerie-inspired corset tops
3. 50′s inspired high waisted bottoms
4. Fringe, fringe, and more fringe
5. Brazilian cut cheeky bottoms, the skimpier the better
Take a look at what we saw on our whirlwind week of swimwear fashion: