And just when you though it was safe to go back in the water. Earlier this week while being tested at a popular surfing beach in South Africa, the much anticipated Shark Shield and the device it was floating on was eaten by a Great White. Speculative causes: The electrical fields designed to repel sharks might actually attract them. In defense of the manufacturer however, the device does work. But it’s only “really” useful when a surfer is just floating in the water. The Australian has more.Thank you for visiting the Swell blog. Visit us on www.facebook.com/swell for more exclusive fan offers, giveaways and more.