September 2nd, 2015
Archive for the ‘GEAR’ Category
Last night’s awards ceremony at the The Grove theater in Anaheim celebrated surfing’s best products, and the campaigns used to sell them. The Surf Industry Manufacturers Association (SIMA) holds this annual event where the surfing’s top players like Volcom CEO Richard Woolcott, RVCA’s Pat Tenore, Bob Hurley, and 750 others get together and measure their successes one beer at a time.
Here are the big winners in the Men’s Categories.
Environmental Product Of the Year WINNER: Recycled Boardshort Series by Billabong
This year Billabong took home a special trophy for their Recycler Series Boardshort. Single use plastics obviously threaten surfing’s playground, so its no surprise that Billabong wins the eco-award year after year. Billabong boasts that this boardshort has saved 40 million plastic bottles from ending up in a landfill.
But don’t worry, these boardshort don’t feel like your wearing a plastic bottle. Just watch Taj destroy these waves while he saves the environment here.
Wetsuit of the Year WINNER: FLASHBOMB by Rip Curl
Rip Curl dethroned the 3-time winning Xcel Drylock suit with their Flash-bomb technology. Rip Curl claim the Flash-Bomb is the world’s lightest, warmest, most flexible and fastest drying wetsuit on the market. So it’s no surprise we cant keep these on the shelves at SWELL.
Men’s Apparel Brand of the Year WINNER: RVCA
RVCA pulled a 3-peat, claiming the best Men’s Apparel brand for the third straight year. Their ongoing Artist Network program, RVCA sport line, and “Don’t Call it Cool” summer exhibition in Paris proved once again who is the most forward thinking company in the industry.
Check out RVCA contemporary designs at SWELL
For a complete wrap of the 2012 SIMA awards, visit SHOP-EAT-SURF.COM
Thank you for visiting the Swell blog. Visit us on www.facebook.com/swell for more exclusive fan offers, giveaways and more.
Guys can be impossible to shop for, but SWELL is here to make you look like girlfriend-of-the-year. Recent improvements in surf style and gear has made this year’s picks fit for a man-cave.
They’re red, they’re rad, and priced for any girl’s budget this Valentines Day.
1. Nixon Tide Watch -Lucky for you, guys don’t measure gifts by the price tag, so you can buy him a watch that wont affect your credit score. The Nixon Lodown is the favorite wrist piece for pro surfers like world #10 Alejo Muniz. They rely on it’s accurate and user-friendly tide functions pre-programmed for 200 beaches around the world.
With the tide and time at his fingertips your man will stay healthier by surfing more, and wont have an excuse for missing dinner.
2.Volcom Luggage -Lifetime warranty. If that’s not a solid Valentines metaphor, I don’t know what is. He’ll be soo psyched on this carry-on bag styled out with skate wheels, metal handle and stash pouches, that he’ll start planning your next getaway on the spot. Travel in style.
3. RVCA Hybrid Shorts -Just another pair of shorts?… think again. RVCA secretly equipped these would-be walk shorts with all the features you’d find in performance boardshorts. Quick drying, stretch comfort, and wrinkle free, the Punch-it shorts answered the prayers of every guy who wishes he could live in boardshorts.
4. GoPro Water Camera -If he’s been an extra good boyfriend/husband this year, the GoPro is the ultimate romantic expression, so he can tape his session. But its not just for him, you can steal it to go skiing, snorkeling, biking, sailing, or any activity. Still-frames on GoPro videos have more HD clarity than that digital camera you gave him last year. It’s a tool that any guy would love regardless of his age, favorite activity, or skill level.
Don’t let Facebook become your only family photo album, GoPro!
5. Nixon Headphones – Starting at $30, these are a good gift for girls on a budget, or just don’t want to come on too strong. A must-have for dudes who hit the trail when there’s no surf, or don’t like those cheap uncomfortable ear-pieces they give you on airplanes.
6. Intimates -Nothing says I Love You, like some sexy lingerie. After-all, he reads magazines about them in the bathroom every morning . A Valentines present you can both enjoy.
Surf Shirt, Rashguard or Thrashguard…who cares? You should, because surf companies finally bridged the gap between wearing that super-hero spandex top, and a soggy stretched-out cotton tee. The goal of the “Surf Shirt” aims to provide a top that protects watermen from UV rays and rashes, without making you look like a barn.
10 years ago companies came out with surf shirt that were stiff, non-breathable, and easily became caked in surf wax. Today’s Surf Shirts feature the same soft heathered fabric blend you love in street tees, combined with flexible, quick drying fabric. This improved functionality means you can wear surf shirts in and out of the water, without leaving a snail-trail on seat-backs after getting wet.