Hands down the biggest weekend of the year in the South Bay, The International Surf Festival takes over the sand from Manhattan, to Hermosa to Redondo Beach! This 3 Day all sport, all welcome, all time event makes the U.S. Open of Surfing look like Kiddie Surf Camp.
The Beach Sport blow out kicks off with the Inter-Squad Lifeguard Championships, where L.A’s best push the limits of lifesaving competition. Exciting displays of tactical maneuvers by the U.S. Coast Guard Helicopter & L.A. County Lifeguard wow the audience of over 100,000. Try not to stare when these chiseled water-men grind out a 3 mile biathlon medley relay, paddle from pier to pier, and surf dory boats into the shore-break. A peaky chest high NZ swell is on tap for the weekend, so conditions should escalate the surf contest and the other aquatic competitions.
SWELL will be there for the “6 Man” Volleyball tournament to support our friends on team “El Geeter’s Barney Killers”. These guys ignore the ultra agro v-ball vibe. Instead, they dress in sizzling hot neons, joke around like the stooges, and let that mojo carry them to victory against hundreds of high strung ballers. Track down the court-side SWELL reps in the red white and blue hats and dig into their grab bag of free gear.
L to R: Barney Killer Rising Above the Competition; Tall Cans' Guitarist Davis P. Charges
After the sun, come join the fun with South Bay’s own, SWELL sponsored band Tall Cans rocking Redondo at Kilkenny’s Irish Pub on the Redondo Pier. These South Bay punks get crowds on their feet, and receive national press for their on-stage antics. Did we mention that the Tall Cans boys are hell-men when it comes to charging heavy surf? Come to the party and look for the SWELL girls who will be stoking everyone out with more rad swag.
Don’t miss out on the South Bay Surf Fest this year because there’s something for everyone, and SWELL is coming to make sure you stay stoked.
Here’s How Surf Fest Breaks Down
Friday, July 30
* 7:00 p.m. LA County Lifeguard Championships — Manhattan Beach Pier, U.S. Coast Guard Helicopter & L.A. County Lifeguard Rescue Demo, 6-Lifeguard Run Relay, Lifeguard Events, Bud Stevenson Intracrew Medley Relay.
Saturday, July 31
* 6:45 a.m. International Bodysurfing Championship — Manhattan Beach Pier.
* 7:00 a.m. Surfing Championships — Hermosa Beach Pier (South Side).
* 8:00 a.m. Sand Soccer Challenge at Torrance Beach.
* 8:00 a.m. Dick Fitzgerald Two-Mile Beach Run — Hermosa Beach Pier.
* 9:00 a.m. Charlie Saikley Volleyball Tournament — Manhattan Beach Pier 6-Man / 6-Woman.
* 7:00 p.m. So Calif. Lifeguard Championships Events — Manhattan Beach Pier, U.S. Coast Guard Helicopter & Los Angeles County Lifeguard Demo, Lifeguard Events Junior Lifeguard Taplin / Lifeguard Beach Flags, Judge Taplin Three-Mile Lifeguard Medley Relay.
*8:00 p.m. Tall Cans – Kilkenny’s Redondo Beach Pier
Sunday, August 1
* 7:30 a.m. Velzy-Stevens Pier-to-Pier Paddleboard Championship – Manhattan Beach Pier, South Side.
* 8:00 a.m. Sand Soccer – Torrance Beach Continues.
* 9:00 a.m. Volleyball Tournament — Manhattan Beach Pier. Final rounds of 6-Man / 6-Woman.
* 9:00 a.m. Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier Swim — Hermosa Pier to Manhattan Pier,
* 9:30 a.m. Lifeguard Dory Race — Hermosa Pier
* 1:00 p.m. South Bay Youth Swims and Paddles — Hermosa Beach Pier