August 28th, 2015
SeaMade: The Budget Surf Trip | San Diego Edition
Need some outdoor inspo? If you’re in San Diego, it’s right in your backyard…
I was one of that kids that liked sleeping in a tent in my own backyard even though I had a perfectly good bedroom inside the house. That desire continues now that I live in Encinitas and have the camp vibes of San Elijo Campground down the street from me. It is truly glamping at it’s finest (glamorous camping for all you rugged outdoorsy folk). Waking up on a cliff above the beach where there are a bunch of fun surf spots and tons of beachy things to do doesn’t sound too shabby to me. Not to mention all the good grinds and cafes nearby to fuel up. It’s a non-commitment, budget-friendly vacay that you can plan the day of (outside of the high season that is). Nowhere near San Diego? Find your closest campground and reserve a spot now. Go on…give yourself a break from the usual four wall structure and take a neighborhood glampout to get in on the luxurious beach-camp vibes. Read on for the SeaMade guide to camping in North County San Diego…
* Surf & surf & surf. There are a bunch of rock reefs and sandbars directly in front of the campground stretch. Cardiff Reef is at the south end and Swamis is 1/2 mile north, both super fun waves.
* Paddle out the kelp beds on a flat day.
* Run the stairs from the campground up north to Swamis and back
* Do a circuit workout on the beach.
* Torrey Pines Reserve is a scenic 15-minute drive south of Encinitas. It has a beautiful hiking area and rad beach for surfing and hanging out at after the hike.
* BBQ at your camp. Seaside Market has tons of fish and meats to grill up.
* Bull Taco. It’s a street taco stand at the entrance of the campground by the camp store.
* The Cardiff Seaside Market Center has Sambazon Acai Bowls, Starbucks, Zenbu Sushi, Rimmel’s Rotisserie, and the market itself, which has tons of tasty gourmet grab-n-go food.
* VG’s Donuts- so bad but so good.
* The Saloon for good times dancing and boozing.
* Seaside Market & Mar Vista (the nearby liquor store) have a wide variety of local craft beers.
* Walk to Swami’s Café (about 1/2 mile north of the camp) for a juice and healthy meal.
What you’ll need:
* Large mason jar or pitcher
* 3 apples (a sweet+tart apple combo like Fujis are yummy)
* 1 orange
* 1 cup of pure apple juice, unsweetened
* 1 bottle of good ginger beer like Bundaberg or Reeds
* 1 1/2 bottles of a hearty, earthy wine like Syrah, Chianti, or Sangiovese
* 3/4 cup of cinnamon whiskey
* a few cinnamon sticks
Slice all the fruit and place it in the mason jar.
Pour in the cinnamon whiskey and let the fruit soak it up for 2 hours.
Add the wine after a few hours and give it all a good stir or shake.
Put in cooler to chill and let the sangria sit for another couple of hours.
San Elijo Campground: 2050 S Coast Highway 101, Encinitas, CA 92024
Torrey Pines Reserve: http://goo.gl/maps/JnPOj
Cardiff Seaside Market Center: 2087 San Elijo Ave, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, CA 92007
Swami’s Café: 163 S Coast Highway 101, Encinitas, CA 92024
* Check out the North LA, Ventura and Santa Barbara Edition, the Baja Surf Trip Edition, the Big Sur Edition, and the North Shore Edition.
* More posts from the #SeaMade Series
* Follow Madison on Instagram at @mmadisonn